What kind of vacuum cleaner should you use on your new UltraTouch® Satin carpet made with super soft Anso® nylon? A good vacuum will be both simple and effortless in operation, and also gentle enough.
What is unique about UltraTouch Satin carpet from CarpetsPlus COLORTILE® that requires special vacuuming considerations?
Soft Anso nylon is the latest in advanced extrusion technology that make these extraordinarily soft carpets possible. Because the fibers are so soft and plush, the total surface density is much higher. This density translates to a more complete seal for a vacuum cleaner head, increasing suction at the point of contact with the carpet surface. The farther the vacuum head sinks into the carpet, the greater the suction and difficulty in maneuvering the machine.
The ultra-soft fibers also require a gentler cleaning action so as to avoid unnecessary wear. Be aware that some vacuums have overly aggressive action which may damage the surface of your carpet.
What makes a vacuum a good fit for UltraTouch Satin carpet?
The following characteristics should be considered to help identify vacuum cleaners that work most effectively on these luxurious, plush carpets:
1. Adjustable height brush roll: A manual height adjustment allows the user to accurately set the height of the brushing action to the proper level for both better cleaning and mobility.
2. Light weight: A lighter weight vacuum will exert less weight in hand, will not sink as deeply into the carpet’s surface, and will thus be easier to maneuver.
3. Adequate wheel size: A large enough wheel size will help the vacuuming head stay at the proper height and not sink into the face fibers.
4. Adjustable motor speed: An adjustable motor will often times lower the speed of the brush roll, allowing both easier operation as well as gentler on the carpet fibers.
5. Optional brush roll control: On loop products, it is recommended to disengage the brush roll action on vacuums with this feature to avoid excessive damage to the fibers. For ultra-high pile carpets, it may also be necessary to disengage the brush roll as the long fibers may entangle in the brush roll, causing damage to both the carpet and the vacuum.
Will I need to purchase a new vacuum for use on my carpet? Many vacuum cleaners perform well on UltraTouch Satin carpet, so it’s possible that you already own such a model. To verify that your vacuum will work well, test it in an inconspicuous area, such as a closet, or on a scrap piece left over from the installation. If the vacuum has any of the features mentioned above, use them as recommended and see if the machine moves easily across the carpet’s surface. Examine the test area carefully to determine if any abrasion of the fibers has occurred. If the vacuum can be maneuvered easily and no abrasive damage is seen, sprinkle some dry dirt or other small pieces of debris and see if they are efficiently removed by your vacuum.
Of course, a quality vacuum cleaner that works effectively on UltraTouch Satin carpet will only benefit you by extending the life of your carpet by keeping it looking newer, longer. Below is a list of recommended vacuum cleaners to fit any budget, and use of such cleaners is highly recommended:
Bissell Powerforce 71Y7-W
Dirt Devil Windtunnel UD70115
Eureka Airspeed AS5203A
Hoover Nano UH70120
$50 – $150
Hoover Windtunnel UH70120
Hoover Windtunnel Plus UH70205
Hoover Windtunnel UH5780-950
Hoover Whole House UH71214
Bissell Total Floors Pet 61C5W
$150 – $250
Hoover Windtunnel Max UH70600
Kenmore Progressive Canister 21514
Kenmore Progressive Canister 21614
Panasonic MC-CG917 Canister
Bissell Healthy Home Vacuum 16N5
Bissell Heavy Duty Vacuum 50C9, 93Z6
Bissell Lift-Off Multi Cyclonic Vacuum 89Q9, 18Z6
Bissell Total Floors Complete 52C2
$250 & Above
Oreck Magnesium LW100
Kenmore Progressive Canister 21714
Electrolux Precision EL8807A
Oreck Quest Pro Canister
Hoover Canister S3855
Oreck Magnesium RS LW100
UltraTouch Satin carpet is available only at CarpetsPlus COLORTILE stores.